book 12 discussion

Book twelve.

Book twelve.

by Brittany Brooks -
Number of replies: 3
The final chapter to answer the final question: Is Dmitri innocent in the eyes of the people? Many took the stand and pleaded for Dmitri's freedom. Ivan, nearly insane, even took the stand and rambled about how he and Smerdyakov were really the ones to blame for Fyodor's death. He was taken off the stand. Just when the crowd had come to Dmitri's side, I was shocked to hear the Jury's verdict: guilty. The crowd was in an uproar and Dmitri was dragged away, Grushenka still in love with him.

I figured it would have at least been a nice ending. I always liked Dmitri too and now he's facing an unjust punishment.
In reply to Brittany Brooks

Re: Book twelve.

by Marlene Azar -
I don't think the crowd ever thought that Dmitry was innocent,  I think they just thought that he'd get away with the crime and the defense lawyer convinced them that the crime wasn't as bad as they thought it was because Fyodor couldn't really be considered a father and "poor Dmitry" had no one to teach him any better.
In reply to Marlene Azar

by Ava Dark -
I think the crowd thought Dmitry was innocent after Fetyukovich spoke.  They all want Dmitry to be set free and I don't think it was just because killing Fyodor shouldn't be punishable.  Even if they were not blood related and he had killed Fyodor, they would still think he deserves to be punished.
In reply to Brittany Brooks

by Miranda Cummings -
I never liked Dmitri much but I don't think he deserved to go to jail for something he didn't do. Poor guy.