book 12 discussion

Book 12 and the Epilogue

Book 12 and the Epilogue

by Marlene Azar -
Number of replies: 3

Yay I'm finally done with the book.  Actually I think I kind of liked it.  Anyways, in book 12, Dmitry goes on trial for his father's murder.  One thing confused me though-- who is the narrorator? Is it the author,who's pretendign he was there?  Well, Dmitry's defense lawyer  tries to save Dmitry by discrediting the witnesses against him and at first Katerina doesn't show the  "condemning letter".  Then Ivan gets on the stand and finally decides to confess what Smerykadov told him, but nobody believes him.  Katerina then tries  to save Ivan by showing the court Dmitry's letter which ends up probably being the reason the jury makes the choice that they do.  Dmitry's lawyer  ended up making a really good closing speech and made all the court's audience think that Dmitry would be let off, even if he did commit the murder.  But, the jury found Dmitry guilty.

Epilogue

Ivan is still really sick and Dmitry finally agrees to escape-- he had thought he wanted to sacrfice himself for someone else's sins, like Jesus did, but in the end decided he didn't have enough strength to do  it.  He and Grushenka are going to live in America for a while.  Also, in the end of the  book, Illyosha dies and the schoolboys and Aloysha swear they will never forget  each other, or that they acted good and just once Illyusha got sick.

In reply to Marlene Azar

Re: Book 12 and the Epilogue

by Megan Tallman -

i know right? that stupid letter. its sad that no one believed him when he told them who actually killed fyodor. :( grrr..

In reply to Marlene Azar

by Samantha Giordano -
when i first started reading this book i thought the narrator was a monk in the monestary, but after reading the rest of the book i think he is just a very informed bystander or the author himself. im sure this isnt a true story...or is it?
In reply to Marlene Azar

by Tariq Elagamy -
i think the narrator is most likely a plot device the author put in to add more creativity to the book. he probably wrote it in as if he was the one witnessing all of it, i think this book was the work that he wanted to complete his whole life so he probably wanted to be immortalized in it someway other than being the author.