Book 5 discussion due by July 20th

More Hysterics, and a little brother to brother discussion

More Hysterics, and a little brother to brother discussion

by Marcus Kisielewski -
Number of replies: 5
Ok, out of this book, which is actually the most interesting so far, i liked Ivan and Alyosha's talk the best. Ivan seems extremely intelectual and wise during this discussion. I like how he finally wants to get to know his brother and just talk with him. Out of thier whole discussion, my favorite part is when Ivan says - "I dont understand anything, and i dont wish to understand anything. The moment I start wanting to understand something, I distort the true picture, when what I really want is to stick to the facts."

That line is so true. When us as human beings, want to know something, we start concieving our own little truths. These "truths" are usually wrong and mislead, but we build and build on them. Over time, we simply accept them as real facts, when they are in fact, holding us back from discovering the real truth which is still unknown.
In reply to Marcus Kisielewski

Re: More Hysterics, and a little brother to brother discussion

by Victoria Bunker -

DANG!! Marcus that as deep! And for once I think I actually agree with you. I think a lot of the time when humans try and figure something out, especaially when it is hard to discover the real truth, we make up our own truths. And then over time we forget about what we were trying to learn to begin with and our usually very wrong conjectures,we accept as the truth. 

I didn't get that out of the argument at first but I think that is very cool that you picked up on it. thanks!:D    

In reply to Victoria Bunker

by Marcus Kisielewski -
Lol, Thanks tori. Im glad i could "enlighten" you? The only reason i did pick up on that is because its the way i feel, and what i believe in. So, even if it wasnt there, i would of still saw it.

by Tariq Elagamy -
Yep, thats true, when humans are faced with a mystery we create false ideas to make ourselves feel better. For instance, do we really have aliens in Area 51? most people might say no or that we do but they are dead so they cant hurt us. was 9/11 a consipiracy? almost everyone says no but there are still people that say that it was. The only truth of the matter is that we will never know, and we try to create our own false realities that please our needs and desires. We fear what we don't understand, so we try to ''understand'' as best we could to not fear anymore.

by Miranda Cummings -
Wow, thank you Marcus! That was a really good line and I'm glad you kinda dug into it. Because it is totally true!
In reply to Miranda Cummings

by Marcus Kisielewski -
Lol, thanks miranda. Maybe ill share my opinions more often..that one i just couldnt keep in.