Book 3 discussion

book 3 and the fourth of July

book 3 and the fourth of July

by Victoria Bunker -
Number of replies: 4

Ok so for starters who doesn't think that fireworks are Amazing!? I love fourth of July, it is a very good reason to get together and party! which I think is just the reason that Dostoevsky would not like our modern celebration of Independence Day. I believe that he would like our freedoms, ( speech, press, and possibly even religion,he likes the idea that everyone holds a belief and I think that in the long run he would have been ok with different ones too.) but jut like everyone else mentioned he would definitley not like the way we abuse and disrespect the freedoms we have and the scarifices many people have made and are still making for freedom, and no just for ourselves in the United States. I think that Dostoevsky would appreciate our freedoms but would be very critical about the way that we show our appreciation ( or don't actually show our appreciation in these cases) for those freedoms and those peole who scarficed for them.

ok so i worte all of that and them forgot to metnion anything  about book 3  so here goes..

I really like book 3, although i did have a very soap opera feel to it. I feel very bad for Alyosha who is caught in the middle of all of the drama, this must never have gone to high school.( stay away from the drama!!) But i think that Katerina is stupid to still want to work so hard for a man that will only hurt her more b/c one time she saw him as a good man, when he so obviously is not any more. I also very much dislike Smerdyakov and Grushenka. I hate the way they get a sick little plasure out of infuriating other people. And Smerdyakov's little thing with the rabbits when he was a kid is very creepy. Overall though i liked all action in this chapter. The more action the less time their is for Dosteovsky to ramble.  

In reply to Victoria Bunker

Re: book 3 and the fourth of July

by Marlene Azar -
Were we supposed to comment on book 3 also?  Oops... Well, I'll just go back and add something just in case--but I didn't think we had too. 
In reply to Victoria Bunker

by Marcus Kisielewski -

First of all - Fireworks are amazing. BUT..my house is still covered in the remains of shooters, AND i almost lit my pool cover on fire, but whatever.

Anywayz - What did you mean by "the wway we abuse and disrespect the freedoms we have"? I agree with you completely, but i was wondering what specifically you were talking about.

In reply to Marcus Kisielewski

by Tariq Elagamy -
I think she is trying to say we disregard and overlook a lot of our freedoms, take them for granted all the time. Its only second nature for us to do so, since we grew up with everything set up for us pretty much on a silver platter.
In reply to Tariq Elagamy

by Victoria Bunker -

Thanks, Tariq!

That was pretty much what i ment. The people and especially the youth of today have way to many things set up on a plate for them, just shouting here you go, take me. I also think that many of us try and purposily over stretch the boundaries of or rights( hence we abuse them, too.) Often times we think we can just say whatever we want, we have freedom of speech after all, but just becasue we have this freedom doesn't mean you spouting of absenities is apropraiate or covered under those rights. It is just stupid stuff that we do to our rights, that makes us seem arrogant and way too self-righteous, which i really think Dosteovsky( probably not spelled right) would dislike.