by Shelby Woodby -
Number of replies: 0

*Title: Much Ado About Nothing
*Author: William Shakespeare
     *DOB: April 1564
     *DOD: April 1616
     *Lived: England
*Original Publication Date: 1598
*Setting: Sicly, around the sixteenth century.
*Theme: Love
*Brief Plot Synopsis: So this guy named Claudio falls in love with this girl named Hero. He wants to marry her but this other guy (played by Keanu Reeves) named Don Jon tries to ruin everything by claiming that Hero had sex with another guy (not to mention sex before marriage was a BIG no-no back then). However, they end up happily together in the end and this other guy named Benedick falls in love with this chick Beatrice even though they hated each other in the beginning.
*Characters:
     *Hero: Loves Claudio, didn't really cheat on him.
     *Claudio: Loves Hero, nice man.
     *Benedick: Argues with Beatrice at first, slightly pompous but also silly. Falls for Beatrice.
     *Beatrice: Sharp-tongued woman who hates Benedick but then falls in love with him.
     *Don Pedro: Sets Claudio up with Hero and Benedick with Beatrice.
     *Don Jon: (ANTAGONIST) Tries to break up Hero and Claudio by claiming that she cheated on him.
     *Leonato: Hero's father. Is upset when he learns of Hero's supposed "sinful acts."
     *Dogberry: Dirty, scary, creepy guy. Hehe, he made me laugh. Good ole Michael Keaton :)

*Symbols: Deception can affect love...?
*Distinguishing characteristics: Everyone in this movie is trying to deceive someone else and they're all confused people.

This movie was odd. Megan and I started watching it and right away we were bored and confused (not to mention our eyes lost their virginity in the first ten minutes!) The dialogue is extremely Shakespearean, so we really had to try and keep up with what they were saying which was kind of a task. It wasn't just what they said, either; it was how they said it and carried out their words with actions- very different from today. Anyway, I'm not sure if I like the movie. It wasn't that interesting, but I've never really liked anything Shakespear has done. I mean sure he has a distinct language but the plots of his stories are always so bland, confusing, strange, and, in my opinion, overrated. And this was just another crazy one of his works.