Grand Inquisitor Activity

GI Activity

GI Activity

by Marlene Azar -
Number of replies: 2

1. The other alternative is to take away mankind's freedom and to rule them.  He thinks that men will only be happy if they have an authority to obey. He also wants men to think they can be forgiven for every sin and still go to heaven,  so they can live in bliss.  The church will take mankind's sins upon themselves.

2. The GI says that Jesus misjudged mankind--in reality, he says mankind are just slaves and rebels.  The GI also said that Jesus thought that man would follow him through free will, but mankind has questioned and doubted God and Jesus. Mankind is weaker than Jesus thought.

3. The GI says that the burden of freedom can be removed by taking control over mankind-- telling them what they can and cannot do.  He feels man will only be happy if he has someone to tell him what to do.

4. Suffering is the price of freedom because when people have the freedom to do whatever they choose, sometimes they make the wrong choices and sin, or hurt themselves or someone else.  Most people have a concience, so they feel guilty or suffer internally for their choices.

In reply to Marlene Azar

Re: GI Activity

by Victoria Bunker -
I don't think i agree with Ivan's illustration of this GI and his opinions about mankind. I don't think that Jesus so woefully misunderstood all of us. I don't believe that we are merrily rebels and slaves and I certainly don't feel that any other man has the right to make that judgement. However I do understand the need/necessity of suffering to recieve freedom( what hurts us, makes us stronger), so are ready for the responsiblity later. But i think that Ivan and the GI somehow think that they are better than the rest of mankind and above believing/ having faith in a God.