sense and sensibility

by Victoria Bunker -
Number of replies: 0

Sense and Sensibility

Author:Jane Austen

Setting: England: Devonshire, London

Publication Date:1892

Characters:

Eleanor Dashwood- very responsible,quiet, reserved. protag.

Marrianne Dashwood-Passionate, kind, quick to judge/harsh, Eleanors sister.protag.

Margaret Dashwood-younger sister of Eleanor and Marianne, shy at first but then very free spirited.protag.

Mrs. Dashwood-very sad from her husbands death,devoted mother to her three daughters(Eleanor, Marianne, Margaret)protag.

Mr. Jon Dashwood-Half-brother to the Dashwood girls, easily disuaded,nieve.antag.

Mrs. Jon Dashwood(Fanny)- rude, overly nosey, thinks only of her connects to the very rich and money. antag.

Edward Ferrars- kind, shy, proud, not terribly bright, in love with Eleanor but engaged to Ms. Steele. protag

Robert Ferrars- greedy, rude, secretly in love with Ms. Steel, Edward's brother. antag.

Mrs. Ferrars- Rodert, Edward, Fanny's Mother, proud, diowns Edward after his engagment to Lucy is discovered.antag.  

Colnel Brandon-old, kind, and shy, loves Marianne(marries her).protag.

Jon Wilhouby-rescued and loved Marrianne once, good hunter, passionate, funny, but concern only for his good name and financial status. antag

Lucy Steele- Secretly in engaged to Edward, but loves Robert,impertinent, and silly. antag.

Mrs. Jennings- Old lady , lived in Barton Place, very nosey, but ment well, took Eleanor and Marianne to London. protag.

Breif Plot Overview: Eleanor and her sister Marianne learn the ups and downs in their pursuit to find husbands. Eleanor and Marianne are Sense and Sensibility, and that is also what each of them are seeking in their husbands.

Major symbols-Sense and Sensibilty: I read the book as well and i noticed how the girls would use the words in their dialogue. The way that they refer to each one of the girls personalities is not exactly the way the word is really defined and I though it quite interesting to see the way the words were used and represented.   

Theme: Sense and Sensibility: Eleanor is Sense;reason, restraint,  and social responibilty. While Marianne is Sensibility;emotion, impulsivness, and raptuous devotion. This is especailly exhibited in the way the act with the men that they love.

Balance: Eleanor and Marianne learn by the end that is not always being sensible or always possessing sensiblity that is to be the best way to live but that you have an even amout of passionate emotion and social respnsibilty.

Distinguishing characteristics of the Work: I liked the flow of the story, in the book their were several boring patches as Austen discribed to us the everyday existance of these charaters and i liked the way the movie picked that up. You got the characters very well as readers, listening to all the things that suffered and found joy in during the day even when somtimes it seemed a bit much.

Personal Response: I really liked this book. And when i find a bit more free time i will probably read it again. I thought that I saw glimpses of myself in the two main charaters. I love the way Jane Austen wirtes, it makes all of her stories timeless.