• BORN: April 1564
  • BIRTH PLACE: Stratford-upon-Avon, England
  • DIED: April 1616

PUBLISHED: 1598

SETTING:

• 16th century
  • Sicly
  • Atmosphere: Excitement, Laughter, friendly

THEME: The major theme of this movie was playing tricks (or decieving)each other, and, of course, love.

PLOT: Claudio and Hero fall in love, but Don John tricks Claudio into thinking Hero has been sleeping with another man.  Claudio shames Hero at the wedding, and she then ends up pretending she died.  Meanwhile, Don Pedro, Claudio, Hero's dad, and Hero trick Beatrice and Benedick into loving each other.

MAIN CHARACTERS:

PROTAGANISTS:

Hero- in love with Claudio, innocent

Claudio- in love with Hero, serves Don Pedro

Don Pedro- prince, good humored, hooks up both Hero & Claudion and Beatrice & Benedick

Benedick- first hated the idea of marriage, argued with Beatrice a lot

Beatrice- Hero's cousin, also didn't want to get married, "witty", always happy

The guards- discovered that Don John had set up the situation behind Hero's slander and ended up saving Hero's reputation so she could "come back to life" and marry Claudio

ANTAGONIST:

Don John- Don Pedro's brother, dark, silent, wanted people to think Hero was not innocent

SYMBOLS: Hero's faked death was kind of symbolic because she was "killed by the slander" emotionally and socially.

DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS:

The movie showed that deception could be used for both good and bad.  The movie still used the Shakespearean language and setting; it also shows how important a woman's virture was during those times--you were pretty much better off dead than having sex before marriage back then.

RESPONSE:

It was a lot better than I thought it would be.  I actually understood a lot of the plot, but at some parts they talked way too fast.  This play had a much lighter mood than the other Shakepeare plays I've seen-- at least nobody ended up dead (for real) and everyone lived happily ever after.  I didn't quite understand why Don John wanted to break up Hero and Claudio.  Overall, I thought this was a pretty good love story because the two least likely people ended up together (Beatrice and Benedick) and the perfect couple (Claudio and Hero) ended up overcoming the slander, ect. 

In reply to Marlene Azar

Re: Much Ado About Nothing

by Ava Dark -

Seeing as you actually enjoyed this movie, and it wasn't all sad like most Shakespearean plays, I may look for it at the library and watch it !!! It appears to be semi-appealing.

In reply to Marlene Azar

by Mrs. Gutman -
I did love this movie. It is one of his comedies that is not too ridiculous - farce. there are lots of twists and turns, but everything ends happily ever after.

In reply to Marlene Azar

by Anjalika Lobo -
I think I'll be looking for this one.  I'm kinda excited that it's not depressing!
In reply to Anjalika Lobo

by Marlene Azar -

Ok-- but remember I said this was good compared to other Shakespeare that I've seen, so don't be expecting too much.