Title: Moby Dick

Author: Herman Melville

DOB: Aug. 1, 1819

DOD: Sept. 28,1891

Lived: New York

Original Publication Date: Oct. 18, 1851

Setting: Massachusetts, The ship Pequod

Theme - Religion, Hostility

Plot: The crew of Pequod is lead by Ahab who is obsessed with finding and getting revenge on the great white whale, Moby Dick, who took his leg.

Characters:

Ishmael- Ishmael is the only man alive after the attack of the whale. He is also the narrator.

Ahab- He is the Captain of the Pequod.  He was once attacked by Mr. Moby Dick and has a pegleg and is out to get him.

Moby Dick-   A very attractive (and very fake) whale who is importantly white.  There are many people on the sea out to get him.

Starbuck- Has a nice name and often questions the leadership of Ahab.

Queequeg- Ishmael's best friend.  He is a cannibal who met Ishmael in bed.  It was a scary beginning to a friendship.  He was known to often wear spandex pants or diapers.

These are just a few of the voyagers but they are the main ones.

Symbols: The main symbolism in this movie was The Story of Jonah.  The movie showed about 10 minutes of the Preacher telling this story.  It was very heartfelt.

My Response - I was very let down by this movie.  It sounds like a good one, and everyone talks about it like it's great but I did not think it was.  It was quite boring, maybe just because I'm a girl who doesn't enjoy old movies and this one was pretty old.  I hated Ahab because it wasn't Moby's fault that he bit his leg off.  Also the grudge that Ahab held against the "white whale" was pretty annoying but that's the whole movie, I suppose.  I enjoyed Queenqueg and his ways. He was pretty funny.  The movie was sort of funny in a way that it wasn't supposed to be which made it a little enjoyable.