Book 5 discussion due by July 20th

book five

book five

by Samantha Giordano -
Number of replies: 2

The first part of this book was hard to stay on topic for me. The discussion ivan and alyosha had may be a little confusing for those who dont know about the bible too much. Ivan's poem talked about Jesus being temped by the devil but they didnt come right out and say it. When Ivan talked about the children getting tortured it made me feel like crying, especially when he talked about the girl being locked up in the outhouse. This discussion left me a little confused, i wasnt sure whether or not to disagree with them. The impression i got was that in ivans poem the man didnt follow Jesus because he felt Jesus gave people hope. He wanted the people to have no freedoms.

The supense in the end of this chapter seemed to be leading up to Fydor's death. These chapters keep getting more and more interesting!

In reply to Samantha Giordano

Re: book five

by Marlene Azar -

I don't think that the Grand Inquisitor didn't just want people to have no freedoms, I think he felt that mankind would be better off if they had no freedoms, because he thinks that the only way for man to be happy, there must be an authority that tells them what they can and cannot do.

Also, the discussion about the children suffering was about how Ivan didn't feel the heaven and harmony promised at the end of time was worth all the suffering people are put through, especially children-- even if the suffering was repayment for sins committed.

In reply to Samantha Giordano

Re: book five

by Ava Dark -

This is true, the discussion between Ivan and Alyosha did leave me a bit confused.  I am also interested in the book :) and very happy to be